The brain enables us to actively interact with our environment. Speed, fault-tolerance, adaptivity and creativity characterize normal brain function, guaranteeing that we successfully master our daily lives. Dynamics are an outstanding feature of the brain at each level of observation. The Bernstein Center Freiburg aims to improve our understanding of these dynamics regarding the underlying mechanisms, inter-relations and functional role, and explore the application of new insights and techniques to outstanding questions in biomedicine and neurotechnology.
Research at the BCCN Freiburg focuses on:
- Analysis and modeling of the dynamic processes associated with brain activity at and across multiple levels, from microscopic to macroscopic scales
- Understanding the constraints from the anatomical substrate, and the structural and functional changes associated with development, learning and adaptation
- Biological function in a dynamic setting: real-time decoding and controlling of brain dynamics; adaptive controllers of neural prostheses and humanoid robots
Along with this multi-disciplinary endeavor, the BCCN Freiburg offers dedicated teaching and training in new PhD- and Postdoc-Programs in Computational Neuroscience, and a Visiting Scientist Program.
The BCCN Freiburg integrates projects at the following research institutions:
- Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg
- University Medical Center Freiburg
- Multi Channel Systems
- Honda Research Institute Europe, Offenbach
Prof. Dr. Ad Aertsen
Tel.: +49 (0) 761 / 203-2718
Tel.: +49 (0) 761 / 203-9314